Tuesday, June 2, 2015

John Cohen's June 2nd Press Conference

I really was expecting more information than what John gave. His answers were very generalized. Again, one of my post season points was that he is too secretive to the fans. I am sure he has very good reasons for holding back certain information. I will try and glean what I thought he means.

Officially, we haven't been notified of roster players that have left the program. When asked about the numbers of roster players and signees combined (between 45-50, squad is supposed to be 35), he said we will know more next week. Next week is the MLB Draft. What I take from this is two fold. One, if we lose more than expected than current players on the bubble will have a chance to come back. Two, obviously, if we keep the signees, then those guys on the bubble won't be back. Those players he said are still being discussed.

Again, with being ultra secretive, he mentioned the injury situation was worse than we the fans thought. A few other players were battling through it. He said he didn't want the media to know or anyone outside the locker room. This is not right to me. If a kid (some may be fan favorites) that is out for an extended time or lost for the season than he needs to tell us. We are in the dark about our own players. I totally understand if you are not wanting to let the opponent know if a certain player is hurt, so that the opponent can prepare for them. I am talking about an extended period or lost for the year. Please inform our fan base.

I doubt any writer will be asking about the roster, etc after the Draft (they will be occupied with football) so now we are in the dark on the roster until the Fall roster is released in late September or early October. That's unbelievable to me (but this makes me popular!). LSU, for instance, releases their roster in late July (after the MLB signing period is expired, usually July 15). Even though this roster is not the final one, the LSU fan base is totally informed. I believe the schedule is released at the same time.

By not giving us fans any information or little, then we are here to speculate on basic information that ALL college baseball programs go through and that is kids leaving for whatever reason, the biggest being more playing time.

Several questions that most of us wanted to know the answer to, weren't asked.

1) Will the 2016 non-conference schedule have better teams and will we play more away games to enhance the RPI which helps bubble teams getting into the NCAA Regionals?

2) Several of you fans along with me, noticed how bad the infield grass looked this year. I know the tarp failed but last year it didn't look great either. You, the fans, informed me how other schools looked so good. We should be a lot better at this.

3) The offensive philosophy was touched on, some of this has to do with talent. The bat issue was discussed and that seems to be a non issue.

4) Cohen said the whole program was being looked at for change but again, why can't he give us specifics. Again, we are in the dark.

5) Lastly, I would have asked John about himself, how he has changed over the past year due to the season. Why? This was such a horrible season and turn of events. When you are the leader, the first thing you do is look at yourself and how you can change and get better.

I think that is all I had to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment